HomeShare recognises that two people have needs and something to offer. A home provider offers accommodation to a housemate in exchange for an agreed level of help.*
No two HomeShare programs are exactly alike, but there are many common threads:
- many HomeShare programs aim to enable older people to remain independent in their own homes by finding a housemate willing to cost-share or help with household tasks
- many programs have been set up to meet the accommodation needs of students in places where accommodation is scarce or expensive;
- some HomeShare programs have been set up to promote solidarity between generations;
- some HomeShare programs cater for the needs of disabled people.
- aim to meet identified needs within their own communities;
- provide guidelines for the operation of the program;
- manage the applications process. Often they screen applicants, match them individually and provide support.
Please check our menu on the right for programs in your community. If you are aware of another HomeShare program operating in Canada (or if you wish to start one), please
If you are interested in HomeShare developments in Canada, please subscribe to our page (upper right hand corner) to receive an automated email notification when we update information. This is anonymous and you have the ability to unsubscribe any time you wish.
For information on programs in other countries, please visit Homeshare International.
* There are programs of a similar name in which an adult with a developmental disability shares a home with someone who is contracted to provide ongoing support but that is not the purpose of this website.